Tuesday, July 2, 2019

How many actually think there will be a trade deal with China?

Watching Trump is like watching the old Jackie Chan flick, Drunken Master.  Almost literally.  His 30 second venture into N. Korea was just another bob and weave game designed to keep everyone off guard and wondering what zany thing he will come up with next.  But I think China has seen this movie before.  In fact, I think they made it before.  So I wonder just how many people actually believe that a trade deal with China is near. 

I suspect something will happen that makes a trade deal impossible.  Maybe it's already happening.  The people of Hong Kong are rioting daily and heavily over Chinese puppeting of their government and over the ever increasing attempts to control a people who damned well do not want to be controlled.  All Trump would have to do to sour China for good would be to acknowledge the HK people and perhaps even offer them protection from Chinese invasion.

Hongkongese are not Chinese thinking. They are the business arm of China, the money arm of China and until very recently the shipping arm of China.  Hong Kong people think of themselves as free.  Chinese people know they are not free.  I was once in Shanghai giving a class to the FAE team of a prior company I once worked for. The internet was ridiculous with the great firewall of China and all.  One of the guys in the class was older so when we were alone I ventured to ask him why the people put up with that kind of censorship bullshit.  He looked at me with tired if not sad eyes but did not respond.  I of course changed the subject quickly.  But it left a lasting impression on me how he didn't even feel comfortable talking about it in private with a foreigner.

China has to save face on multiple fronts.  The communist dictatorship has to show the people that emperor/God-King Xi is second to none now that he has revised the freaking constitution so that he can rule for life (absolutely treasonous to the Chinese people).  China cannot accept bad behavior from Hong Kong people.  It has to do something.  Also, listen to Jamie JP Morgan Dimon chiming in that Trump should walk away if he doesn't get a good deal with China.  Check out the look on Xi's face.  It's like "if I have to do this dog and pony make nice show again I'm going to choke on my own vomit".

I don't know about you, but the thing I think is most telling is that China took their freaking pandas back home from the San Diego zoo.  That token loan of friendship was not rescinded easily nor will it be restored any time soon.  Chinese leadership watch Drunken Master flicks, they don't star in them.  They aren't wishy washy on again off again like Trump.

No comments:

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More