Friday, December 6, 2019

When you borrow to consume things look better than what they are.

On my high tech salary I could easily pass as a rich person.  For a while.  I could go buy a new Tesla and park it at that 5000 sq ft mansion you know about.  I could stop working and spend money on credit cards to take trips and have "experiences".  I could eat at the best restaurants and go to the best shows.

But I can't do it forever and neither can anyone else, not even the US government.  So when I see headlines like "lowest unemployment in 50 years" I recognize this as nothing more than conspicuous debt based government consumption.  The article is patting Trump on the back for creating low unemployment but it does not say AT WHAT COST his is achieving this political miracle with.  I bet if we looked at the debt that is being taken on we would find that it would simply be cheaper to hand people free money than to buy this low unemployment using debt.

Said differently, these kinds of superlatives are what we find a cycle peaks.  We don't have much longer before the Ponzi begins to freefall so I hope everyone is using this time of artificial plenty to create some savings and to situate yourself in a way that when this comes crashing down that it will not fall on top of you.  NOBODY is going to look out for you when that time comes.  Those who have not taken the necessary steps will simply get tilled under.

No comments:

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More